Sunday, September 28, 2008

Beaches of the Vendee

Beaches of the Vendee
The late September weather is glorious here and having just returned from a quick trip to the UK I decided to finish my tour of visiting all the beaches of the Vendée. It has been a mammoth task and has meant travelling the length of the Vendée coast from Le Collet which is in fact just over the border in the Loire Atlantique to the point at Anse de l'Aiguillon, taking every possible track that leads towards the sea. I have walked over countless sand dunes and along miles of beaches, photographing as I went. The reason for this selflessness is simple; many of my customers ask me what are the best beaches to visit, so for years I’ve told them which my favourites are. I’ve come to realise that this is a personal view and didn't cover those areas that I rarely visit. I therefore decided that producing a comprehensive critique of all of the beaches in the Vendée, including photographs, would be this year’s project. It has been a lot of work, but it has been extremely interesting. As well as doing quite a lot of research I have also visited other attractions and diversions along the way as well as eating out at different restaurants. I have come across some real treasures such as the harbour at Saint-Giles-Croix-de-Vie at sunset, and seen some amazing sights such as the thousands of people raking shellfish at low tide while crossing the Passage de Gois at Noirmoutier. These and many other gems can be found amongst the pages of the beaches which I am now in the process of completing, and which will be the most comprehensive travelogue of the coastline of the Vendée.

No comments: